Welcome back to the fifth edition of our Acupressure Series. On today’s blog we explain how our Qi energy acupressure treatments can relieve sadness and negative emotions by stimulating just one energy point located in the centre of the chest.
Conception Vessel 17
Conception Vessel 17 or CV 17, is located in the centre of the chest and feeds into the pericardium energy center of the body, which protects the heart. Free-flowing Qi energy is responsible for helping people feel well in body, mind and spirit. However, the CV 17 point is often sore or tender to touch for people who have experienced heartbreak, suffer from depression or are prone to feeling sad. This point is where these emotions are kept within the body and cause a blockage of Qi energy, causing emotional as well as physical problems.
How we treat the CV 17 point using acupressure treatments
- CV 17 area is located just up from the base of the breastbone. We place our fingers on the chest with the index and middle finger placed on the breastbone, supported by the thumb
- Then in the small indent in this area we gently rub up and down the center of the breastbone to stimulate the CV 17 point
- The CV 17 point is connected to the lymphatic system so in pressing along other points across the lymphatic system; on the chest and on the side of the neck, we can also help to further release tension in this area
- Despite seeming only to be skin and bone, this area is a energy pressure point so can be painful to touch especially for people who are holding onto the aforementioned emotions
How to mentally release the emotions connected to the CV 17 point
- As mentioned this point is linked to sadness, depression and heartbreak. Through meditation we can release these emotions over time
- By sitting in meditation and considering what has happened in our lives which has caused us sadness we can then begin the process of acceptance for these events
- The sadness we hold on to can be because we don’t understand why something has happened, especially if we feel we have been hurt by another person unfairly
- If we can put ourselves in the position of another and recognize the emotions that were influencing their decisions we can begin to empathise. This is again true if we can recognise the person has been incapable of controlling their desires
- In doing this we create a greater understanding of the events that have caused us sadness which gives us wisdom and strength to forgive the person who has hurt us, not allow them to hurt us for any longer and move on
- This will help release the tension and pain held in the CV 17 point and allow us to go forward in our lives with a more open heart, capable of welcoming more people into our lives whilst giving and sharing more love
Qi Wellness is a unique well-being and alternative health centre in the heart of London. Drawing on Eastern philosophy, Qi Wellness practitioners offer holistic treatments and classes to help strengthen the body, as well as, improve emotional and mental wellbeing.
Following similar principles to acupuncture, but without using needles, the practitioners press acupressure points all over the body to stimulate energy and blood flow, often resulting in immediate pain and stress relief.